Thursday, August 29, 2013

CP 219 Heavenly Fatherly schizophrenia



CP 219 Heavenly Fatherly schizophrenia

It seems my spirit has become sensitive in the last two years. Is it discernment? You be the judge. I hear things, see things, read things written, and if it is out of step with the gift and freedom of the gospel a ‘troubledness’ comes over me. And then I can’t keep my mouth shut or my fingers off the keyboard. There is an inner compulsion to respond.
Maybe, therefore, you might understand when I recently came across something ‘contrary’ in a guest column in The Lutheran. It was penned by the teacher of liturgy and worship at the Australian Lutheran College, which prepares LCA pastors for the public ministry. Commenting on ‘Lord have mercy’, It included the line, “In these words, we hold our begging bowls before God…” No, no, no, no and no! I wrote. The editor printed. Here’s part of my letter:
 “If the item by Rev Linards Jansons in the June 2013 issue of The Lutheran represents the teaching of the LCA on liturgy and worship then I have become a misfit who has lost his way in this church! I object, strenuously, to any statement that I am in communal worship ‘holding a begging-bowl before God’. I am there with my brothers and sisters in Jesus Christ as a child of my heavenly Father.
Whatever I say and do in his presence is done as a son. I am present as one who has been given the spirit of his Son. I am there freely because, being ‘in Christ Jesus’, he has given me that freedom. I am not in that place begging. I belong there. Yes, I need mercy for many things in my life. Yes, I seek forgiveness. I am not a beggar. It is also why the phrase ‘poor miserable sinner’ is a denial of my place in his lap, in his embrace.
I know! I know! Yes, I still retain Adam’s heart. But - and it is a heaven-sized but - I have the heart, soul, mind and spirit of Jesus Christ himself. That is how my Father in heaven sees me and that is how he receives me.”

Soon after, even before the letter was in print, the final report to District Synods by the outgoing President of the LCA came to my desk. It too has a line about beggars in relation to Holy Communion. “As we approach this table we are nothing but beggars…” No, no, no, no and no again.
I’m aware we sing, “…nothing in my hands I bring.” That is truly an acknowledgement that my life ‘in Christ’ is utterly by grace, for Christ’s sake, through faith. No arguments there. However, as surely as I begin worship ‘In the name of the Father…’, and as I freely address my prayers to, ‘Our Father in heaven’, so also I come to the Table as a son who is already forgiven, or as a son who knows for a certainty that his Father will never renege on his promise to forgive. As a son (or daughter as the case may be), I will never, never, ever need to plead for forgiveness as a beggar! Is it not true what John records in his Gospel? “To all who received him, who believed in his name he gave power (he gave authority) to become children of God…” (John 1:12 RSV) Doesn’t Paul insist that, ‘The Spirit witnesses with our spirit that we are children of God…’? (Romans 8:16)
Argue with me about this please. Am I not, in Christ, a new creation, born of water and the Spirit? Is it not my faith that I was baptised ‘into Christ Jesus’? Is it not true that, ‘There is therefore now, no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus’? (Romans 8:1) What did Jesus mean when he told Mary Magdalene, “But go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father…’”? Tell me, am I displaying arrogant self-confidence? Or is it OK to mount a fierce defence of trust or faith in these revealed truths? He is faithful. Promises made are promises kept. I can build on the rock-sure foundation of what he declares. The Cross is both his healing of me and his commitment to me. So define me in as many ways as you like but I will never wear the title ‘beggar’ in the presence of my heavenly Father.
Back to the beginning. I headed this post ‘Heavenly Fatherly schizophrenia’. Sure looks like it. Apparently we can’t work out whether we are sons / daughters or beggars. Forgiven or not yet forgiven? It seems we are not sure of our status. Or even sure of him. Could it be that the Father, too, is not sure of our forgiveness or that we are now sons / daughters? I don’t think so! I’ll go with an un-schizophrenic Father and be a forgiven son / daughter any day.
Maybe sorry about being too passionate. Never sorry about the Passion!
Fred

4 Comments:

Anonymous VickieW said...

Love your thoughts Fred. I am a child of God, Jesus took my sin, paid my debt. I am made new and will live like someone who has been given an incredible gift, not like I did before.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Jan O said...

Wow, that is right on.I also am not a poor misserable sinner, but because I am in Christ, I am a forgiven, healed,whole, restored,blessed daughter of the King, who is on an amazing journey to uncover the precious truth of my right standing afforded me through His loving sacrifice and resurection.

1:38 PM  
Anonymous JennyT said...

Amen Fred! This As John wrote in 1 John 3:1 - "How great is the love the Father has lavished upon on, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!" Love that absolute statement at the end - no doubt about it, we are God's children.

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For thought -

When Martin Luther died on February 18, 1546, a scrap of paper was found in his pocket with his final seven words, a mix of Latin and German. Hoc est verum. Wir sind alle Bettler—“This is true: we are all beggars.”

But yet,the grace of Christ does abound! See more at goodshepherdboise.org/content/request.php?pub_luke_189-171010.24.pdf

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home