Monday, August 19, 2013

CP 218 Fred the Rev, Tony the Abbott, and a "Democratic" history.



CP 218 Fred the Rev, Tony the Abbott, and a “Democratic” history.

Today I realised I had something in common with Mr Tony Abbott. I was reading the latest issue of Eternity, a monthly publication of the Bible Society. It features an article by Roy Williams about the Christian faith of Kevin Rudd and Tony Abbott. Well worth a read. The article reveals a little known fact about Mr Abbott. In 1976 he became involved in student politics at Sydney University through the Democratic Club. Apparently he was soon ‘running the show’. My connection? In 1969, for a short while, I myself was ‘running the show’ in the UNSW Democratic Club! I wasn’t good at it, nor was I particularly interested. I have to be honest and admit that it was simply a front for the National Civic Council on campus.
Mr Abbott is a Roman Catholic, as was I. In terms of life’s journey I probably have more common ground with Kevin Rudd who also grew up in the RC Church. He went on to embrace an evangelical faith in his student years, as I did. Neither man is ashamed to acknowledge Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord. Rare indeed.
The only reason I mention this is that we in Oz have decisions to make regarding the next Federal Government. All of us will have personal views. I’d just like to put in a plea about the business of passing on any of those disgusting emails, which circulate from time to time, about our political leaders. I confess to being shocked and saddened that so many of them are passed on by so many who honour Jesus Christ and claim to follow him in love. As James cries out, “Brothers and sisters, surely this is not right…” (James 3:10) The scripture calls the people of Jesus Christ to respect those who govern us as appointed by God himself. “Fear God and honour the emperor”, never forgetting that, “We must obey God rather than men”. Enough!
And now for something different. For this week I invite you to chew on the snippets below which hit my inbox in recent weeks.

The Gospel of the God of Life
Originally from the Carmina Gadelica III, 191
Taken from Esther de Waal, editor, The Celtic Vision (Liguori, MO: Liguori/Triumph, 1988, 2001), p. 92–93

The Gospel of the God of life
To shelter thee, to aid thee;
Yea, the Gospel of beloved Christ
The holy Gospel of the Lord;
To keep thee from all malice,
From every dole and dolor;
To keep thee from all spite,
From evil eye and anguish.
Thou shalt travel thither, thou shalt travel hither,
Thou shalt travel hill and headland,
Thou shalt travel down, thou shalt travel up,
Thou shalt travel ocean and narrow.
Christ Himself is shepherd over thee,
Enfolding thee on every side;
He will not forsake thee hand or foot,
Nor let evil come anigh thee. 

We were given the Scriptures to humble us into realizing that God is right, and the rest of us are just guessing. — Rich Mullins

Faith sees what your physical eyes can never see.
Faith knows what your natural mind can never comprehend.
Faith possesses what your physical arms can never hold.
Faith says “yes” to everything God declares to be true;
Faith stands upon everything God says is certain,
it leans upon everything God says is unmovable,
and it counts upon everything God says will come to pass.
- Corrie Ten Boom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home