Thursday, June 20, 2013

CP 212 So, true or false, right or wrong?



CP 212 So, true or false, right or wrong?

Sometimes we mean one thing but say another, or write another. A couple of months ago there was a misspelling in the note I sent you. Instead of ‘Dear friends’ I addressed you as ‘Dear fiends’. One simple ‘r’ left out and I’ve turned you from friends of Jesus Christ into friends of the devil. Truly, truly I say to you I did not mean it. Only found out I’d done it when a number of you sent back snide little notes! I made a mental note to be careful in future. Would you believe that the next week I almost hit ‘send’ when it occurred to me that I’d better check the spelling. The Lord has a sense of humour.

This time the ‘r’ was where it should be but there was no ‘n’. So I was in the process of addressing you as ‘frieds’. No, I hadn’t been to a food outlet bearing the name of Colonel Sanders, late of Kentucky. Nor had I been reading the Old Testament book of Malachi:
“Surely the day is coming; it will burn like a furnace.
All the arrogant and every evildoer will be stubble,
and that day that is coming will set them on fire,
says the Lord Almighty.” Malachi 4

Well, I wasn’t thinking wickedness of you but I might well have been chewing the thought in Malachi 3 that the Lord promises to refine us like silver or gold. In that case ‘frieds’ could be true. Makes me wonder what you might say if I accidently address you as ‘freds’!

Those of you who have read my book might recall the episode involving a 8-9 year-old named Daniel at the Immanuel Church in Canberra during a Confirmation Service. During the childrens’ talk, this insightful young fellow declared that the group of 13-14 year-olds at the front of the church were going to be… crucified! Of course he was wrong… but then again he could not have got it more right! Everyone who lines up with Jesus the Christ is lining up for their own personal ‘kingdom cross’. In the same way, when a little 3 year-old tells the pastor that the reason Jesus comes to live in us is, ‘to push the poo out of us’, she’s got it right too.

All of this came to mind when a mum sent me a note to say that her newly-confirmed son had written to his NZ godmother that he "missed her at his conformation..." His mum added the following:
“It did cross my mind that it was a slip and he was doing what was expected of him rather than a deep drive to be responsible for his walk with Jesus.  Then again, I believe his faith is something that needs to sit in his DNA - to call upon and look to when he is ready, so conforming or confirming may have a similar result in the end.”

Confirm, conform, conform, confirm… Inevitably I went to the NT to check out the word ‘conform’. It turns up 3 times. Two of the references are warnings about the need for being careful on the journey in the footsteps of Lord Jesus.
·        “Prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance.”
     1 Peter 1:13-14 NIV
·        Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.” Romans 12:2 NIV

The third usage comes from that most magnificent passage in all of Paul’s letters, Romans Ch 8.
·        “Those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son so that he might be the firstborn among many children.” Romans 8:29

Some brief comments:
First, it’s perfectly obvious that anyone who has freely confirmed his/her trust in Jesus the Messiah for forgiveness and life will inevitably find themselves being conformed to the likeness of the beloved Son.
Secondly, whatever the Holy Spirit is doing / will do in your life will be pretty special. He’s making you be like Jesus in your ordinary, everyday life!
Thirdly, the Lord has a special love for living, pliable clay.
Fourthly, special thanks to the young bloke who gave me the idea to write this in the first place.

Thanks guys… be blessed in the blessed one.

Fred

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home