Friday, January 01, 2016

CP 264 When me and Seppo worshipped this Christmas

CP 264 When me and Seppo worshipped this Christmas…
For the first time in 46 years I did not worship in a Lutheran Church over Christmas. However there were two separate ‘worship times’ which gripped my spirit. The first was on Christmas Eve in the Ingleburn Anglican church. A couple of carols to start with, followed by readings from the Gospel of John and the book called Hebrews. Then a brief message, a carol, prayers, a final carol, and we were out… just 45 minutes in total. The whole experience was so ordinary and human, so un-hyped and gentle, that it was comforting and joyful in its simplicity.
We didn’t get to worship on Christmas Day. We were on the road from Sydney to Thredbo for 3 days of camping. On the first day we met the bloke on the campsite next to ours. ‘G’day,’ was the total of our conversation. The next day we passed a few times, a bit of a cheery smile in the rain, just aware of each other. The third day, Sunday, we stopped to talk. Well, well well. Finnish, been in Oz for 45 years or so. Confirmed in the Lutheran Church. Later joined the Finnish Pentecostals. Sometime in there he was a youth Pastor with them. No longer formally worships. Had enough of the guilt and shame constantly laid on by both camps. But, Oh, how special he is.
Seppo has as pure an understanding of the gospel as I have encountered in many a year.
·       Jesus died for my sins? He became my sin!
·       The only righteousness the matters can never be gained by performance… it’s only the righteousness of Jesus Christ that counts.
·       The only thing required of us is believing trust in Christ and his work.
·       Anything more than faith is sin and our Lord alone puts that faith in our hearts.
·       Of course we have stuff to do… lots of loving… but I’m free to do it, free to choose love, because the Spirit of Jesus has filled me with Christ’s love in the first place. I don’t have to be manipulated or coerced…
That was the gist of it. Not necessarily the exact words, but the pair of us sat at a table in the wilderness rejoicing as brothers about our remarkable heavenly Father, bubbling in the Spirit over the grace come to us in the Son. In that conversation we worshipped. And my heart was singing as it ended.
May our Lord bless your year with lots of Seppo’s.

Fred

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it a crime that church can get in the way of our worship of the Christ Child? The very fact that He came to this Earth as a human and left His father's side was so that we would realise that we have direct access at all times to the Trinity. How dare the church take that away from us with their own agenda. Anyway don't get me started because I won't stop!!! We can take heart that Jesus is Lord and our Lord and gave up everything for us. What a statement! Would I give up everything for someone? Especially someone who despises me and wants me to die? What a gift we have received.

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home