Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Recycle Bin / Rubbish Bin

CROSS PURPOSES # 103

31 October 2007

We were driving along the Hume Highway the other day, returning from a wedding in Victoria. Being tuned to ABC Melbourne we happened on a conversation about the replacement of a ‘host person’ from a well known reality TV show. Such conversations can be witty but also unkind, and still be insightful.

“She’s out of the recycling bin and into the rubbish bin”, said one. (a comment about her career)

“Nah”, said the other, “she’s out of the rubbish bin and into the recycling bin!” (a comment about the show)

All sorts of themes are to be found here – not least the way words are used to demean or destroy, or to damn with feint praise. In the middle of an Australian election campaign we’re smothered by it. Another possible theme here is the way those phrases might help us understand how and where we are with the Almighty.

There are plenty who are willing to consign those they don’t like or agree with to God’s rubbish bin. And equally there are plenty who are sure they belong there because of their own past sins. What I love about God, perhaps most of all, is that his specialty, his strength if you like, is getting hold of those who have no future apart from the rubbish bin, and completely renovating them.

I’m reminded of an exchange between Zacchaeus and Jesus in the film “The Robe”. (Forgive me if I’ve mentioned this before). After Zacchaeus vows to repay all he stole and then some, and to give half of his goods to the poor, Jesus asks the little bloke “Why are you doing this Zacchaeus?” The answer is burnt into my mind and heart for the truth it is: “Because when I looked into your eyes I saw the person I was meant to be!”

Ah truth, truth truth! Holy, holy, holy! Jesus Christ is the prototype for us. “Because when I looked into your eyes I saw the person I was meant to be!” God takes us out of the rubbish bin, (‘I know that in me, that is, in my flesh there dwells no good thing!’ says Paul), and remakes us in the image of the Redeemer himself. All who call Jesus Christ “the Lord” from faith are a work in progress. The sign outside our heart says “Under Renovation”.

And another truth! Jesus Christ voluntarily allowed himself to be thrown out onto the world’s rubbish heap, (read Calvary), so this could happen. And that’s worth celebrating!

Be Blessed

Pastor Fred

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home