Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Lost and found on Sydney Harbour

CROSS PURPOSES # 90

18 July 2007

Hi Guys

This week's Cross Purposes comes to you courtesy of René van den Tol

The parable of the Lost Sheep in Luke 15:4-7 reads as follows:

“Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbours together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’ I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.”

This parable was the Bible text for a sermon earlier this year, and in the process of my sermon preparation it became a reality for me on Sydney Harbour. You may recall the visit of the ocean liners Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth 2 to Sydney in February. I took my boat out on the harbour to have a look.

Well, I motored to Circular Quay and it was absolute mayhem. Boats everywhere. I manoeuvred to a position quite close to the QE2 when someone came across behind me and clipped the back of my boat. Very soon after, the motor started to run erratically, and a few minutes later it died – and I nearly died with it. There I was, bobbing like a cork on a choppy Sydney Harbour. I gave everything a quick check. The fuel line and electrics still appeared connected. I turned the key – again, and again, and again. Nothing. The motor was completely dead.

By now I’m drifting in the one direction I didn’t want to be drifting – straight towards the QE2. As well as all the people in the boats there were thousands more watching from the shore. Four or five helicopters were circling overhead – most probably television crews. I made sure I kept my sunglasses on and I pulled my cap down further on my head. I didn’t want to be recognised. I could picture the news reports. Local idiot from the Lutheran Church slams into the side of the QE2. His only excuse – “The Devil made me do it.”

I tried to start to motor again. No joy. “Lord, I don’t need this. Deliver me. Ple e e e e e ease!!!”

At that point I could see myself in the parable – like the lost sheep wandering about aimlessly in the wilderness, I was drifting hopelessly on the Harbour, bleating for the shepherd.

After my big silent “Ple e e e e e ease” to the Lord, a fellow came past slowly on my port side and in desperation I called out, “Mate, I’m in trouble, my motor’s dead, can you give me tow, please?”

He did more than that. He backed up, and with his mate they secured me alongside their boat and we slowly motored to where the other boats had positioned themselves at a safe distance from the QE2.

Another vision came to mind, this time of the lost sheep being found by the shepherd, being lifted onto his shoulders, and being carried back safely to the fold.

After being secured to the other fellow’s boat, we propped right under the Harbour Bridge to enjoy the fanfare and I was able to take some photos. My boatie friend even offered me a beer, and when it was time to go he offered to tow me to his boat ramp at Gladesville, or to radio the Maritime service to come and tow me back to Roseville where my car and trailer were parked.

I settled for the second option, and while he was on the radio I took a closer look at my motor and noticed that the electrical connection wasn’t quite seated properly. It must have been slightly dislodged when I was clipped earlier. I gave it a tap to knock back into place, turned the key, and the motor started. I thanked the guys for their help and I was on my way.

God calls all of us to be shepherds to his people, particular the lost sheep. But sometimes we take up that call without the necessary humility that Jesus always showed, but rather with an attitude and air of self-righteousness and superiority that tends to be judgemental of others.

We need timely reminders, that we too are sheep who lose their way and get lost. On that evening on Sydney Harbour I received a timely reminder that I can get as hopelessly lost as anyone, but that in Jesus I have the perfect shepherd – the true shepherd, the only shepherd – who is always patiently trying to tell me that I am his sheep, and that when I get lost, he’s going to look for me. And when he sees what I’ve done, he turns to the Father and says, “Father, forgive him, for he doesn’t know what he is doing.”

Jesus gently reminds you that you, too, are his sheep and that he tirelessly searches for you every time you get lost. He is your shepherd. He is our shepherd who gave his life so that when we lose our way he can call out “Father, forgive them, for they do know what they are doing.”

René van den Tol

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home