Wednesday, August 02, 2006

God has Cross Purposes for You

Hi guys, Fred here.

Out of the mouths of babes
Teaching 8 year olds is not my natural gift. I get undone by the endless fidgeting and ‘off on a tangent’ thought processes that this age group can produce. Give me a bunch of thinking, aware, engaged adults anytime!

That said, I’m currently running a class on Saturday afternoons with eight youngsters, six of whom are aged around 8 years old. This is our ‘get ready for your first Holy Communion’ class. It might be a battle but I don’t mind because it’s my first chance ever to have these kids in a class situation.

During our second session I was using a colourful transparency about how humans do their level best to build bridges back to God and about how God builds a bridge between us and him through the Cross of Jesus. I told the little blighters that Jesus took our sins to himself (like a super-sopper) so we could have his life and be reconciled to God!

One of the kids, a boisterous little man who didn’t appear to be paying much attention, suddenly swung around and confronted me with a bold declaration: “If Jesus took our sins then he should go to hell!” (As if to say – “there’s a hole in your story!”)

Silence. Awed amazement for the Pastor. Jack, Jack, Jack you’re right! You are right. That’s just what happened. He did go to hell for us.

Almost the Lord’s last words on the Cross – “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” – that’s what it was about. He was lost so we could be found! He was forsaken so we could be embraced. He went as far away as possible in the spiritual realm so you and I could be brought near. He became the collective unworthiness and evil of all humanity so all of humanity could be holy and without blame in God’s presence!

Oh the Gospel – how sweet it truly is – once it’s understood. For just those few moments 8 youngsters ‘got it’ and were themselves awed by the knowledge.

Do you get it? God has Cross Purposes for you!

- Pastor Fred

Just a reminder, that you are free to use this material, send it on to anyone else. Use the email feature to share it with a friend. Or make a comment if you wish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home